Owakudani, Volcanic Valley, Black Eggs + Mount Fuji
Ōwakudani is a volcanic valley with active sulphur vents and hot springs in Hakone, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan. It is a popular tourist site for its scenic views, volcanic activity, and especially, Kuro-tamago (黒卵, lit. “black egg“) — a local specialty of eggs hard-boiled in the hot springs. Read more at wiki. We had a private hot spring, near Hakone Station. Definitely worth the trip to have a private hot spring after visiting Owakudani. Read on to find out more about our trip to Owakudani from Tokyo, we took multiple transportation modes to reach Oawkudani!
2 Things to Eat at Owakudani!
A box of 5 Black Eggs, 540 Yen (~S$6.75 per box)
Cheap Lunch at Owakudan
2 views when you are at Owakudani
- Volcanic Valley
- Mount Fuji
Try to reach before noon so that you won’t miss the Mount Fuji view, which was not that cleared after lunch time at noon.
How to go to Owakudani from Tokyo?
- From Tokyo shinkansen, take to Owadara.
- Buy Hakone tozan train and cable car 1-Day pass (1,540 Yen each).
- Take from Odawara to Gora via Hakone Tozan train using the free pass.
- Using same pass, take from Gora to Souzan.
- Buy round trip ticket (Rope Way aka cable car) from Souzan to Owakudani station (1,510 Yen each).
Total Transport Costs:
- 1 Day Ticket Hakone Tozan Train & Cable Car: 1,540 Yen
- 2 Way Tickets Rope Way: 1,510 Yen
- JR Pass to travel via Shinkansen to Owadara